[asterisk-users] MISDN/asterisk problem (not sure where from)

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Fri Jul 3 12:51:27 CDT 2009

I may not be the best one to answer this because it sound like European
ISDN, but there seem to be some basic issues that might be relevant

>a Samsung router with analog and ISDN ports.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the voice side of things.  An ISDN
port on a router would generally imply that the purpose of the router was to
pass internet data over an ISDN, something that was quite common a decade
ago, but has largely been supplanted by higher speed methods (DSL, Cable
modem, etc).  Some such devices did have the ability to pass voice traffic
through to an analog port (FXS style).  I use such here in my home office,
although at the moment, strictly for voice.

>the phone company says the outgoing line is analog landline

That is easy to test, hook a phone directly to it and see if you get dial
tone.  If so, then there is no place for an ISDN router in this except if
you are using the analog line as a dialup backup for data (assuming the
router supports that).

>but I'm sure it's some VOIP.

Oops, we have a third technology that popped up here from nowhere.  VOIP is
carried over the internet or a LAN/WAN.  It has nothing to do with either
analog voice or ISDN.