[asterisk-users] g729a compatibility

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Thu Jul 2 03:15:18 CDT 2009

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3555#section-4.1.9

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Kevin P. Fleming<kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
>> Elliot Murdock wrote:
>>> I have a sip device that is sending in the SDP:
>>>
>>> rtpmap:98 g729a
>>>
>>> It does not seem like Asterisk is negotiating the codec properly,
>>> because while the call rings, the rtp lines fail.  However, on other
>>> sip devices that have "rtpmap:18 g729" in their SDP, things work fine
>>> with Digium's commercial g729 license.
>>>
>>> How do I get "98 g729a" recognized by Asterisk?
>>
>> You don't. That's not a standards-compliant way of reporting G.729A in
>> SDP. The RFC says it should be 'G729', but Asterisk also accepts 'G.729'
>> and 'G729A'. It does not accept any lowercase form of the codec name.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3555#section-3
---cut---
   Note that the payload format (encoding) names defined in the RTP
   Profile are commonly shown in upper case.  MIME subtypes are commonly
   shown in lower case.  These names are case-insensitive in both
   places.
---cut---

Sounds like it should really be case-insensitive but I might easily
be mistaken. Didn't dig too deep into RTP/SDP specifications.

    Philipp Kempgen
--
AMOOMA GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer, Handelsregister: Neuwied B14998