[asterisk-users] RTP/NAT Traffic to private IP

Holger Latz tech at globalview.de
Thu Jan 29 09:30:22 CST 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to connect a softphone at home (nat, dynamic-ip) to a sip-phone
in the office via asterisk 1.4.21 (nat, fixed-ip). SIP works well, the
phone is ringing, but when I pickup the call, there's no audio on both
sides.

I debugged the rtp-traffic at home. As long as the phone is ringing,
everything is fine. But after the pickup, asterisk sends a SIP/SDP
package with its private address (192.168.100.10). After the softphone
received this package, it tries to send RTP data to this address!
Obviously those packages never reach asterisk...

Does 'externip' just works for SIP and not for RTP?
Where does the the internal IP-address come from and how can I set the
right one?

My configuration:

[general]
externip = 85.XXX.XXX.XXX