[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 dahdi only?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu Jan 29 07:21:15 CST 2009

Wilton Helm wrote:
> I still am not quite on the same page with you, though.  There are a lot of commands that aren't function calls that go into various config files.  The most basic and obvious one is
>     exten
> There must be a hundred of these and I don't know where they are listed with all acceptable parameters and ranges and what they do and why.  There are examples to get one started, but I don't think I can put my hands on even a definitive definition of exten.  Am I making any sense?  Maybe these are called variables or something.

Are you talking about the 'exten' in this example?

exten => s,1,NoOp()

If so, then I'd encourage you to read the first few pages of Dialplan Basics a
couple more times (Chapter 5). In the PDF, it is listed as page 119, and to
answer your question specifically, check out page 122 near the top:

"The syntax for an extension is the word exten, followed by an arrow formed by
the equals sign and the greater-than sign, like this:

exten =>

This is followed by the name (or number) of the extension. When dealing with
traditional telephone systems, we tend to think of extensions as the numbers you
would dial to make another phone ring. In Asterisk, you get a whole lot more;
for example, extension names can be any combination of numbers and letters. Over
the course of this chapter and the next, we’ll use both numeric and alphanumeric
extensions."

Hope that helps,

Leif Madsen.