[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 28 16:11:47 CST 2009

>Obviously analog loops are powered by the CO, so much of the benefit of
>ISDN-BRI as the first voice circuit is eroded away for a large percentage of
>the installed base.

That depends on the situation.  For the last eight years I've been running a TA and have had to deal with that, and it isn't all that difficult (how do you say UPS).

On the other hand, since this is an Asterisk mailing list, I assume anyone here interested in ISDN BRI has to address the same power reliability issues with the Asterisk server itself--I will.  Once again, UPS to the rescue.  Some BRI cards have a U interface, so they are as reliable as the computer they are plugged into.  Mine does not, but I just plug the power supply for the S/T U translator into the same UPS that powers Asterisk.  I really don't see a problem here.  The adapter needs less than 10 W!  I also have to deal with other loads, such as lighting and a furnace, without which I won't be talking on the phone for long.  Even most of the analog phones I've been using here need local power, either because they are cordless or because they are multiline and need supervision.  I really see very few cases where the need for local power for the NT1 or TA is more than a footnote.

BTW, if anyone cares, my UPS works with an external battery and can power my PC, NT1 / TA, DSL, Routers and switches (with POE for access point and SIP phones) for at least four hours before I need to take more drastic measures.

Wilton