[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed Jan 28 16:04:54 CST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Karl Fife wrote:

> One problem with BRI adoption has no doubt been the need for external power
> to the NT1 or TA.
>
> Obviously analog loops are powered by the CO, so much of the benefit of
> ISDN-BRI as the first voice circuit is eroded away for a large percentage of
> the installed base.
>
> From our experience, if you wanted high availability, you ended up with
> something that looked like a comcast digital voice install -- battery
> backups, transformer blocks, external terminal adapters, wire rat's nest
> etc.  It raises the hurdle.
>
> -Karl

Not to mention up front install cost.  It was literally ten years ago that
I had BRI circuits, but I recall having to BUY the NT-1s at several
hundred bucks a pop.  And then install fees for the engineer.  It was a
very expensive proposition back then.  I imagine times have changed, as it
seems that in some areas it can be actually less expensive than two POTS
lines.  I suppose in rural areas where the installed copper is starting to
fail you will get better voice quality, but in the city I don't think you
get much out of it being digital to the house.