[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Michael Higgins linux at evolone.org
Wed Jan 28 14:58:52 CST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:35:56 -0500
Steve Totaro <stotaro at first-notification.com> wrote:

> Laughing at Michael Higgins,

;-)

> Who said he wants HIS software to be Open Source?  It is his and if he
> want to, God forbid, make a profit from his work, then who the hell
> are you to say it is not right?

As I typed in the message to the list, "Okay, fine. I don't insist that anyone do anything they don't want to do, believe me! This is why, in my OP to this list, I asked about tradition, are developers normally keeping modified code from the originators of the code?"

So, do I say it's "not *right*"? (I actually do understand the issues.) No. I say it's "kinda crappy behaviour... ugh", from what I've seen so far. Maybe the source *was* released to the community and nobody cared. Well, that's still pretty lousy... perhaps deserving, I don't know.

> Yes, I have and will continue to speak with Marcin, and most of the
> prominent people involved with Asterisk in the past and currently.  Is
> this a bad thing?

I don't understand this... Did I indicate that you shouldn't? Who am I to say, anyway?

What I did was try to see if Marcin had any posts to the mailing list. He doesn't, apparently, but rather I found in a post you mention that you had some conversation. Again, funny, that.

> What you did not see in that thread since it was taken off the list,
> man to man.  Verizon BRI works with a off the shelf 1.4.x build and a
> BRI card somewhat.
>
> There are a great deal of missing IEs or Unknown IEs, caller ID does
> not work at all, when first starting the box, oubtbound calls work
> right away, then it takes about 30-40 minutes for inbound to start
> working.  At random intervals, the card would stop taking calls for no
> reason and then start again after 30-40 minutes.
>
> If you can deal with that, then go for it.

Of course I can't deal with that. It's broken! Why would I choose to deal with that?!? '-)

> The above were my final results with Verizon BRI service and 1.4.x.

Hmm. If I wanted to stay with 1.4, apparently I could just buy the Quad(4) port BRI card from phoneicq and have to get all support directly from one person. It seems too risky, period.

> BRI is stupid in the US anyways, that is why it was never supported or
> proper stack written (with the exception of Marcin's).  BRI was a
> miscarriage in the US and it will probably disappear in the near
> future.

Okay, great! Why didn't you just reply with that to begin? Seriously...? '-)

Look, this confirms what I'd pretty much concluded already. All I wanted to know. Now I can stop trying to find out what the deal is, you see.

. . .

Truly, I thought getting a public recommendation to contact someone who already hadn't passed the "please don't taint my GNU/Linux and open source" machine test, was, well, funny... okay?

I found it *particularly* funny as you didn't address the part of my post where I want to know if it's common to, well... you can call it what you want with borrowing, and keeping modified, open source code (if that's what happened)... for me, I'm *not* a capitalist, but I do understand the effect on open source when folks do that. ;-)

> Just get a partial PRI, POTS, or a some DSL lines.

Partial PRI is also disappearing, I've been told -- though now I'll have to try harder to find it since I don't need any bandwidth, but would like digital lines. POTS will likely have to do after all.

I really appreciate your input. Obviously, you are very knowledgeable and helpful to solve problems. But I'm just looking for software to drive a card, didn't know what card to get, this is the software user list... As I said in my last post, "I don't personally care about 'pissing matches'. It's not my money, I'm in no great hurry...".

Why not be sure to add your statement about US BRI to a FAQ, or something? It seems germane... after all it takes some time and research just to realize 'BRI' isn't the same as 'BRI' in the US. Here, you've just definitively answered the question with, to paraphrase, that it's a dead end, at best... THANK YOU! '-)

Cheers,

--
 |    |ichael  |   |iggins    \^ /
 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org