[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Wed Jan 28 07:43:38 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:35:56PM -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> Who said he wants HIS software to be Open Source?  It is his and if he
>> want to, God forbid, make a profit from his work, then who the hell
>> are you to say it is not right?
>
> His software seems to be patches to GPLed software. That means that
> whoever gets those patches has the full right to pass them on.
> This is regardless of getting paid for a job.

So stop complaining about it and pony up the cash.

>> There are a great deal of missing IEs or Unknown IEs, caller ID does
>> not work at all, when first starting the box, oubtbound calls work
>> right away, then it takes about 30-40 minutes for inbound to start
>> working.  At random intervals, the card would stop taking calls for no
>> reason and then start again after 30-40 minutes.
>>
>> If you can deal with that, then go for it.
>
> Missing IEs? this reads like a patch to libpri. Or incorrect
> definitions?

Yes, I believe libpri is part of his patches.

> Or try to pull resources. Provide pri debug trace and such.

Do the people who "pull resources" get any compensation?  Obviously
Xorcom gets to benefit financially.

I am tired of vendors waiving an opensource flag when in reality, it
is their loss leader and turns their NOT FREE products into more than
a paper weight.

> No reason to pay this separate development cost on each separate case.

No reason from your viewpoint because this is a market that you
(Xorcom) would love to tap, and not pay for the ability.

Write your own patches if you think it is so trivial and not worth paying for.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro