[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Jan 28 11:16:15 CST 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 11:49:41 Michael Higgins wrote:
> What I did find left me with the impression that USA 'BRI', uh, '2B1Q'
> protocol(?) is not supported by *any* hardware vendor, at all, period, nor
> is it tested and proved in the software... stack(?), in one related branch
> or another on the OS side.

There is a strong possibility that this could be supported in Asterisk in the
future.  What is preventing it right now is that the people at Digium who are
capable of writing this functionality are working on projects with "real
customers"; that is, they're working on projects that are already funded.  If
US BRI support is something that you really would like to see, I would suggest
making a call to Digium sales and asking for it, specifically.  Only when the
sales department starts hearing about it on a regular basis is when the people
who are capable of writing it (and releasing it to the community) will be
assigned to working on it.

If I were the least bit capable of doing this, it would already be in
Asterisk.  I, for one, would love to replace my analog channels with digital
(and it would actually be affordable in Tennessee, where I live ~$40/mo).

--
Tilghman