[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 dahdi only?

Steve Gladden asterisk at michiganbroadband.com
Wed Jan 28 09:26:36 CST 2009

Thanks all very much for the help & pointers.
I've found all of the documentation on asterisk (especially 1.2-1.4) to
be more than adequate, and the voip-info wiki to be almost complete for many
things I've had to do in the past.

I also back in 2004 was able to bring up several high end large scale
systems and asterisk was a major help to keeping food on the table!

Hey! I LOVE my Atari (800XL) 64K
And Star Raiders is the bomb!!!
I'm 41 now :-)

And oddly Motorola 8 bit assembly language is the only serious programming
work I have ever done.
I'm now a stuck-up snob spoiled and too good to learn a high level
programming language because I've worked with the 'cool stuff'! :-)

Steve

>> Wilton Helm wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> My conclusion after installing a worthless * demo (that actually does
>>> allow two SIPs to talk to each other) is that Asterisk is not of any
>>> value to anyone other than a person who makes a full time career out
>>> of running Asterisk systems.  I've installed and maintained several
>>> traditional PABXs and even wrote the control firmware (in 6502
>>> assembly) for one, with sizes from 6 stations to 300 stations,
>>> including things like DID.  It was kindergarten compared to Asterisk,
>>> and primarily because of the huge information vacuum.
>
> I'm impressed that you picked up 6502 assembly out of an even larger
> "vaccum" considering there was no 'net back then to help at all.  Did
> you install a PBX on an Atari?  :)
>
> There is an immense amount of information about Asterisk and Linux in
> general on the net, and it just requires diligence, patience, and an open
> mind to find and utilize.  Even better, read the source if you have
> questions.  Lots of READMEs, comments, and other lists to help
> specifically with development.  It certainly helps to be Unix inclined,
> and if you have no interest in moving in that direction, you are probably
> better off with traditional systems.

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.