[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 dahdi only?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 27 14:00:27 CST 2009

>I'm impressed that you picked up 6502 assembly out of an even larger
>"vaccum" considering there was no 'net back then to help at all.  Did
>you install a PBX on an Atari?

No, I interfaced a Rockwell AIM to a 300 station Philips electromechanical PABX (designed and built about 100 interface cards, including DTMF receivers) and then wrote all the call processing code.  The Rockwell AIM did come with manuals that completely documented both the hardware interface and the instruction set.  In the days before the 'net, such paperwork was mandatory.

>it just requires diligence, patience,

I'm trying.

>It certainly helps to be Unix inclined,

Unix was barely out of Bell Labs when I got my CS degree and we never saw it, so I am at a disadvantage.  I have worked a bit with a couple of Unix installations since and do have a computer running Fedora 9 and one that is supposed to be running Fedora 10 64 bit if I can ever get past a kernel bug, so I am trying to come up to speed.  I am a lot more familiar with what to do after the reset vector on an 80186, or the inner workings of a protocol stack.

Wilton