[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Jan 28 01:54:39 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 01:17:59PM -0800, Michael Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:43:30 +0200
> Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
>
> > To the best of my understanding, latest Asterisk should support it
> > through chan_dahdi .
>
> Cool. Got any links to any related informations, so I can go by more
> than anonymous hearsay? '-)

No, but here's something to get you started.

I assume a single TE span.

######################
#/etc/dahdi/system.conf
######################
span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
# Though I wouldn't completely exclude:
#span=1,1,0,ccs,ami
bchan=1-2
dchan=3
# BRI drivers default to using G.711a for B-channels. But in the US
# G.711u is used:
mulaw=1-2
# For dahdi, not Zaptel: set echo canceller as well:
echocanceller=mg2,1-2

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;chan_dahdi.conf
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
[channels]
switchtype = national
signalling = bri_ptp
channels => 1-2

> > No need for extra bristuff or whatever. But this
> > needs some testing.

Depends on the card. HFC-S cards don't yet have drivers in DAHDI itself.
A version of the driver that is reported to work is included in the
Debian package: zaphfc.[ch] from:

  http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-voip/dahdi-linux/trunk/drivers/dahdi/

You'll also need to apply the bri_dchan patch:

  http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-voip/dahdi-linux/trunk/debian/patches/

However those are only for the kernel-level driver. No need to use
anything from the libpri or Asterisk patches of bristuff.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com