[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 27 12:44:12 CST 2009

I'm in the same boat and have been looking at this for several months, but haven't actually jumped in, hands-on, yet.  No, I don't think the situation is as dismal as you paint it, although the lack of appropriate marketing for BRI in the US has all but killed it here, making it relatively unattractive to vendors.  I have been advised of several cards that support it, but they were two or four port cards that were serious overkill for my application, and expectedly pricy as a result.  I am trying to use an HFC card, and have been advised that it is possible, but will take some digging and experimenting.

As near as I have been able to figure out, mISDN is the appropriate place to begin, but I haven't tried to sort it out, yet.  There are a couple of other paths that might lead to a solution, but they seem to be less supported than mISDN at present (if that is even possible).  It sounds like Dahdi is moving towards that, but I don't think its quite there, yet.

Qwest is one of the few providers I know of that prices BRI reasonably.  I have one up and running on a TA and use it for my voice service.  As soon as I can figure out mISDN, I plan to move it to Asterisk.  (I'll keep a TA around for backup).

Wilton