[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 27 17:37:58 CST 2009

It seems to me that there a lot of "it ought to work or could be made
to to work" associated with implementing US BRI into Asterisk

I agree.  I have a BRI in service and have offered a couple of times to do tests.  I have an HFC card here that I intend to use with it myself, and plan to test that as soon as I can.  I have gotten relatively little information and have been reluctant to proceed.  However if dahdi now supports it and I can figure out how, I'll dive in as soon as I get a chance.  That exercise should help get me up to speed a bit.  At that point if anyone ones to send me a card of a different kind, possibly a loaner from a manufacturer, I'm willing to plug it in and try an appropriate configuration for it.

I am running a production server and BRI, and it also serves web pages and will soon do E-Mail, so I need to maintain fairly good up time.  OTOH, it is a small home office setting, so I don't mind being down long enough to put a card in the box and test it.

It would appear to me that validating the higher level functionality and figuring out the necessary settings is at least half the battle.  Once that is done, I would expect driver level issues to be more straightforward.  I am wondering if there is even one site in the US using NT1 BRI at present.  If there was, a set of config files might be helpful, even if they were doing it a bit differently, such as with BRIStuff.  For this testing it would seem that a dahdi based approach is the clear way to go.

Wilton