[asterisk-users] Root Password not taking

Matt Watson matt at mattgwatson.ca
Thu Jan 22 16:08:32 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:52 PM, David @ULC <ucoms2001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried :
>
> 1. Shut down the machine. (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
>
> 2. When it reboot and reach the CentOS boot up screen, then press any key
> to go into a select menu. Then press "e" and navigate to the second line
> "grub.conf" line (kernel) and press "e" to edit the line to
>
> option 1 : <SPACE> 1 (" 1″) at the end of the line. OR
> option 2: <SPACE> S (" S") a the end of the line OR
> option 3: add "single" to "ro root=LABEL=/ single"

Your error is at option #3, the root= line should be pointing to the
partition of your root (/) filesystem.  You are supposed to replace "LABEL"
with it - typically this is going to be something like /dev/sda1  (if you
are SCSI or SATA - /dev/hda1 if its IDE)... though I believe CentOS uses
initrd, and it might be a little different when using initrd, i;m not very
familiar with it so hopefully somebody else will chime if it should be
something different.  but it also may not be sda1... it could be sda2, sda3,
sdb1, sdb2, sdz4, hdg3... in otherwords, too many options to list, this is
specific to your system - but sda1 would be typical.