[asterisk-users] Root Password not taking

David @ULC ucoms2001 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:52:59 CST 2009

When I boot I get this Error :

switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I tried :

1. Shut down the machine. (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

2. When it reboot and reach the CentOS boot up screen, then press any key to
go into a select menu. Then press "e" and navigate to the second line
"grub.conf" line (kernel) and press "e" to edit the line to

option 1 : <SPACE> 1 (" 1″) at the end of the line. OR
option 2: <SPACE> S (" S") a the end of the line OR
option 3: add "single" to "ro root=LABEL=/ single"
Then hit "ENTER" and press 'b' to reboot.

After it reboot, and stop at '#" command line, type "passwd" to create the
new root password.

Reboot the machine as usual and access your root with new password.