[asterisk-users] soft ATA on linux with zaptel?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Jan 21 16:11:25 CST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Slightly OT, but I'm wondering if anyone here has come across a "soft
> ATA".  That is, software that will perform the functions of a basic
> POTS
> line ATA on Linux with a zaptel driven card.
>
> I have a Linux machine with a zaptel card in it and I want to have
> another Linux machine running Asterisk utilize the zaptel card in the
> first Linux machine to make outgoing and receive incoming calls.
>
> I realize I could make Asterisk do this job, but it seems pretty
> heavy-
> weight for just that purpose -- of bridging a POTS line to a SIP (or
> IAX)
> connection.
>
> Ideas?
>
> b.

I think that the most reasonable and complete answer to this is
"Asterisk", as you perhaps have already surmised.  If you have
concerns over "heavy" processing, then perhaps comment out all of the
modules, functions, channel drivers, codecs, and other items that you
don't need when you launch Asterisk.  (see /etc/modules.conf for
details.)

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/