[asterisk-users] the FXS ports of Digium and damaging if connected to Tel Line

Phil Reynolds phil-asterisk at tinsleyviaduct.com
Wed Jan 21 04:34:01 CST 2009

Quoting "bilal ghayyad" <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com>:

> Hi All;
>
> I am facing a problem that always the users confused and connect the
> telephone line coming from the telephone service provider to the FXS
> port and cause it to be damaged, specially if the card was 2 fxs and
> 2 fxo, so they make mistake and connect the line to fxs while it
> should be connected to fxo.
>
> What is the solution for this disaster?

What sort of environment is this in? If it's servers you have built
and supplied to others, I can understand why it is such an issue.

I have a 3 FXS, 1 FXO card. On the one occasion I had to move the box,
I left the line cord in the FXO. Because the other end is not RJ11
here, that saved me making a mistake.

I hadn't actually thought of the adaptor in FXS port idea, but that
would work too. When I wired the internal lines at my house, I
terminated each with RJ11 to fit the card. I could have used BT plugs
and adaptors, perhaps.

If you are in a country where RJ11 connectors are used on everything,
it is much harder to resolve.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-asterisk at tinsleyviaduct.com
Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95