[asterisk-users] the FXS ports of Digium and damaging if connected to Tel Line

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Jan 20 06:31:37 CST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Geoff Lane wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 20, 2009, bilal ghayyad wrote:
>
>> What is the solution for this disaster?
>
> I live in UK, where we don't use RJ11 for telephones and so need to
> use adapters, which I just leave hanging out of the FXO ports. With
> the adapters in place, it's difficult to plug the phones into the
> wrong ports. I've also stuck a large label on the computer cabinet to
> show which ports are for what. For info, I have a TDM400P.

If you're carefull, you can clip the tang of the RJ11 plug on the end of
the BT adapter so that it needs a small screwdriver to remove it from the
socket on the board...

I found this out after swapping a Panasonic unit out for an Asterisk box
of my own and having a devil of a time removing the connectors going into
the Panasonic box - I'm told they're supplied like that and they were
punched-down directly into the DP! (not a BT 'master' socket in sight!)

> I suspect that the label idea might help but the other would depend on
> whether your country uses RJ11 for standard phone connections.

Never underestimate the stupity of sheeple...

Gordon