[asterisk-users] IAX IP Phone

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Jan 19 14:32:04 CST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Joseph wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, bilal ghayyad wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone knows an IAX IP Phone works fine and tested?
>>
>> How about IAX2 adapter from digium? I've been uing it and it works very
>> well.
>
> Wow, that has NOT been my experience, though it has been a few years
> (2005) since I used them.  The ones I purchased were first of all
> expensive.  They overheated and froze up often.  Only a single port.
> No dual ethernet option.  Provisioning is a PITA.  Codec support was
> minimal. I thought at the time that being IAX I wouldn't have to worry
> about NAT issues and that was worth the extra difficulties, but I have
> been using Linksys PAP2Ts ever since and never looked back.  And it has
> been over a year since I had any NAT issue to deal with, though have now
> installed them in hundreds of different configurations.
>
> Perhaps these things have been rectified since...

I've had an Iaxy2 (s101i) for several years. It's always worked fine for
me. It does generate a very slight amount of heat. Just enough so you know
it's plugged in -- as if the overly-bright blue registration LED wasn't a
clue.

The original "iaxprov" command line tool was a bit of a bother, but the
"iaxprov" Asterisk command is better since it uses a centralized
"iaxprov.conf" file to provision the devices. I prefer devices that
request (via TFTP) configuration, but once configured you're done.

It gets my vote for a "just works" device and it's great to travel with as
long as you remember to use a transformer instead of an adapter in
countries (England) that insist on delivering excessive voltage :)

Thanks in advance,