[asterisk-users] 0800 UK number

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Wed Jan 14 13:48:19 CST 2009

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Thomas Kenyon wrote:
>

>> Danny Nicholas wrote:
>>
>>> Why are you using a text message when you could be recording a message and
>>> sending it out?  This would possibly be clearer than a "read-and-callback"
>>> scenario?

The sms will be sufficient for most people ("The school is closed today
because of foo. Please call baa for more info"), and only those who
*really* want to know will call in.

>> Do you think so?
>> Remembering that most people, if they pick up the phone to hear a
>> recorded message will immediately hang up without listening to it, then

yup.

>> there's the few that will listen and not get it or understand, either
>> because they have answered their phone in a crowded room expecting a
>> real person to be on the end or because a lot of the time you don't hear
>> a recorded message the first time you listen to it (even if you're
>> expecting it to be recorded).

yup
>> I think a text message is a much more elegant way (presumably relayed
>> though an SMSC so that sending the message to all users doesn't take a
>> day to do).
>>

> It's about 5 seconds to send a message with a GSM terminal, so 20 minutes
> for 250... Which might be OK, depending on the number of messages
> required... (Although cost is another factor - for those not in the UK, it
> costs to send a text message, and it's free to receive)

we send all of our sms via clickatell - very quick, half the price of
sending it via the PRI

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Julian