[asterisk-users] IAX Java Softphone?

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 12:19:33 CST 2009

On 14 Jan 2009, at 18:11, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 17:38 +0000, Tim Panton wrote:
>> On 14 Jan 2009, at 16:47, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
>>
>>> 	Thank you for getting that code contributed to the community. Is
>>> there
>>> a spec somewhere of the features supported by that applet? A version
>>> history? Docs of the "SDK" it's distributed as?
>>
>> All I have is the link.
>>
>> I should emphasise that I no longer have any relationship
>> with Mexuar so I'm in the dark as to exactly what their plans are
>> as far as supporting this code is concerned.
>> I'm just one of the original authors and an open-source proponent.
>>
>> I guess it would make sense for someone to open a sourceforge project
>> for it
>> and add those things.
>
> 	Do you know if there are at least hooks in there for the applet to do
> video over IAX?

No, there aren't. We didn't even implement the video frame classes.

I don't think it would be hard to add support for a simple
video codec transport. The problem is the renderer.
Java basically doesn't promise to deliver any video codecs.
You are at the mercy of what happens to be installed on the OS
or by 3rd parties (eg Quicktime, DiVX etc).

(Caveat - I haven't investigated this for a while, it may be that JavaFX
changes this picture)

Tim.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk