[asterisk-users] sip peer permit/deny - Need some explanation

Administrator TOOTAI admin at tootai.net
Sun Jan 11 13:17:21 CST 2009

Hi all,

I tested with few Asterisk versions from 1.4.18 to 1.4.21, same result.

Here is the problem: I have a peer -which is peer AND user- setted up
like this

[MyPeer]
;
type=peer
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.139
deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
permit=xxx.xxx.xxx.136/255.255.255.248 ;IP address from range 138 to 142
permit=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy/255.255.255.255
context=from-MyPeer
dtfmode=auto
disallow=all
allow=ulaw,alaw
insecure=port,invite
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
call-limit=15
accountcode=MyPeer

On incoming calls, when the peer address is the one terminating with
.139 everything is OK.

If I change the external IP from the peer *ON* the peer machine to let's
say .140 (or any other permitted address from this peer), incoming calls
are not recognized despite the deny/permit stanza. If I modify the host
to .140 in my peer definition, it's again working normally.

Question is: why even by allowing in the permit stuff the allowed IPs
from a peer, Asterisk does only accept calls from those peers if the
peer machine has the IP address from the host definition in my peer sip.conf

Thanks for any hint.

--
Daniel