[asterisk-users] iax2 bindaddress: how to reload so iax2 can bind to an alias IP

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jan 9 13:52:42 CST 2009

On Friday 09 January 2009 13:08:41 Vieri wrote:
> --- On Fri, 1/9/09, Josiah Bryan <jbryan at productiveconcepts.com> wrote:
> > Is this right after bringing online the alias IP?
> > If so, you might try using arp-sk to broadcast an ARP
> > packet to kick-start the IP lookup...
> > http://sid.rstack.org/arp-sk/
>
> Thanks for the link.
> However, it's not that the two boxes don't "see" each other: they can ping,
> do HTTP, etc. The only service not working is IAX (ie. "iax2 show peers"
> says that the peer is unreachable). So basically, if I try to communicate
> with the alias IP address via several protocols such as HTTP, ICMP, SSH,
> etc, then all works fine. However, if I setup a iax trunk, it does not
> work.
> I also tested the connection with a softphone (zoiper) and it fails too (it
> fails to connect to the alias IP but it connects fine to the nic's
> "standard" IP address).
>
> So, I'm puzzled by the following:
>
> These WORK:
> telnet <alias_IP> 80
> ssh <alias_IP>
> ping <alias_IP>
> iaxclient <standard_IP>
>
> But this doesn't:
> iaxclient <alias_IP>
>
> even though iax.conf has bindaddr=0.0.0.0
>
> Any clue as to why it's behaving this way?

Yes.  All protocols prior to 1.6.0 use the routing table to determine what
address to use when sending out packets related to a call.  Normally, the
alias address is not in the routing table at all, which is why it is not
'seen' by IAX2.  Now, starting in 1.6.0, we have the capability within
Asterisk to use alias addresses within certain protocols, but AFAIK, that
has only been implemented within the SIP stack.

--
Tilghman