[asterisk-users] iax2 bindaddress: how to reload so iax2 can bind to an alias IP

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 13:08:41 CST 2009

--- On Fri, 1/9/09, Josiah Bryan <jbryan at productiveconcepts.com> wrote:

> Is this right after bringing online the alias IP?
> If so, you might try using arp-sk to broadcast an ARP
> packet to kick-start the IP lookup...
> http://sid.rstack.org/arp-sk/

Thanks for the link.
However, it's not that the two boxes don't "see" each other: they can ping, do HTTP, etc. The only service not working is IAX (ie. "iax2 show peers" says that the peer is unreachable).
So basically, if I try to communicate with the alias IP address via several protocols such as HTTP, ICMP, SSH, etc, then all works fine.
However, if I setup a iax trunk, it does not work.
I also tested the connection with a softphone (zoiper) and it fails too (it fails to connect to the alias IP but it connects fine to the nic's "standard" IP address).

So, I'm puzzled by the following:

These WORK:
telnet <alias_IP> 80
ssh <alias_IP>
ping <alias_IP>
iaxclient <standard_IP>

But this doesn't:
iaxclient <alias_IP>

even though iax.conf has bindaddr=0.0.0.0

Any clue as to why it's behaving this way?

Thanks.

Vieri