[asterisk-users] Not Dialing 9

Brent Vrieze bvrieze at cimsoftware.com
Thu Jan 8 17:52:12 CST 2009

Thczv F. Thczv wrote:
> When I set up my Asterisk box at home I didn't want to have to dial 9
> to dial off premises, so I gave all my local phones three digit
> extensions with this format: 1[1,0]*.  My thought is that there are no
> area codes that start with 0 or 1, so if I use those numbers, I can
> create 20 local extensions that can be dialed with 3 digits, and not
> have to use a timeout when dialing long distance.  If I dial 1, then
> anything other than 0 or 1, Asterisk knows I am dialing long distance.
>  If I start with any number other than 1, Asterisk knows I am dialing
> a local or local toll call.
>
> This has worked fine for me (as far as I know).  Is there some flaw I
> am not seeing?  I see a lot of small businesses that require a 9 to
> dial out, even though they don't have very many extensions.  Couldn't
> they do what I did and not have to dial 9?
>
> I ask because we are having a problem where I work with our Cisco 7940
> phones adding an extra 1 sometimes, which gets the local Sheriff upset
> (too many 911 calls).
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I think you are over thinking this.  We set our Asterisk server up with
multiple outgoing dial rules to handle local and long distance.  Keep in
mind that we are connected to SIP provider that takes care of some of
this for us.

Our local extensions are 2**

I have outgoing call rules similar to

exten = _NXXXXXX!,1,Dial(outgoing sip connection)   ( this is for local
calls )
exten = _NXXNXXXXXX!,1,Dial(outgoing sip connection)  ( this is for long
distance calls )
exten = _911!,1,Dial(outgoing sip connection)  (this is of course for
dialing 911 )
exten = _011XXXXXX.,1,Dail(yada yada yada)  (interntional calls)
exten = _1NXXNXXXXXX!,1,Dial(Yada yada yada )  (long distance with a 1
in front.)

If you have to have a 1 on front of your long dist numbers ( we don't )
leave off the _NXXNXXXXXX! pattern and only use the last one.

Asterisk will now look at the relevant extensions and decide which to
use.  Using this method if you mis-dial then the phone line does not get
used and Asterisk sends a failed number sound.  If you dial 3 numbers it
will look at the local extension you have set up and if the one you
dialed exist it dials it.  If you get an error.  If you match the patern
above it dials out.  The only time with this system you would have a
problem is if you make your internal extensions 7 or 9 digits.

Doing like I have above Asterisk will match your pattern more based on
ext length than on what order the numbers are in.

Hope that helps

--
Brent T. Vrieze
CIM Automation