[asterisk-users] codec_dahdi and Asterisk 1.6.0.6

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 09:52:11 CST 2009

>> 1) How can I use codec_dahdi? Would it be useful when passing a call from
>> one dahdi channel to another dahdi channel?
It is used whenever you need G729 or G723 transcoding (or any other
format supported by the Digium transcoding board). If you don't have a
Digium transcoding board then you don't need that module and you can
disable it in modules.conf

>>     ERROR[18854]: codec_dahdi.c:399 find_transcoders: Failed to open
>> /dev/dahdi/transcode: No such file or directory
That simply means you don't have loaded the dahdi_transcode module. If
you wanted to enable it you can with modprobe dahdi_transcode, that
will create /dev/dahdi/transcode device, however if you don't have a
Digium transcoding board the device is useless.

>> Is this because I do not have a hardware trancoding device? Can I safely
>> ignore this error or is it a bug?
Yes, you can ignore it, or better yet, disable dahdi_codec module in
modules.conf

Moisés Silva

--
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the
death your right to say it." Voltaire