[asterisk-users] codec_dahdi and Asterisk 1.6.0.6

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Feb 26 02:42:07 CST 2009

2009/2/26 Brandon B. <brandon at brellsystems.com>

> I've got a question about codec_dahdi witrh a system running Asterisk
> 1.6.0.6 and DAHDI 2.1.0.4 with a TE410P card. The system is used primary to
> route calls between different PRI connections, so no transcoding between
> codecs is happening as far as I am aware.
>
> 1) How can I use codec_dahdi? Would it be useful when passing a call from
> one dahdi channel to another dahdi channel?
>
> 2) I'm getting the following error on the Asterisk CLI unless I disable the
> codec_dahdi module:
>
>     ERROR[18854]: codec_dahdi.c:399 find_transcoders: Failed to open
> /dev/dahdi/transcode: No such file or directory
>
> Is this because I do not have a hardware trancoding device? Can I safely
> ignore this error or is it a bug?

I'm far from being certain (20% sure) but I think codec_dahdi relates to
Digium transcoding cards (G729 to A/U LAW).

My understanding is that current default and implicit installation policy is
to have those cards enabled and running without any user action which make
those error messages appear on systems not including those cards.

I would be very happy if someone could correct this explanation and shed
some light about what this is all about ...