[asterisk-users] Intel Vs AMD

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:39:20 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:10, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:00:38AM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Doug wrote:
>
>> Interesting shopping list - I've just built a new server for my co-lo and
>> it's an Intel Atom mobo. Normally I do use AMD though, but right now,
>> power consumption is an issue and hen AMD's low power chips are
>> mainstream, I'll look at usin them..
>>
>> My dual-core Atom mobo with 1GB RAM, 2 x WDC drives consumes just 42
>> watts. Which means it will run at room temperatures without any issues
>> with no case fans. (although the co-lo has 2+1 AC)
>
> If power consumption is a concern, also concider some Via CPUs.

AMD also has dual-core 45w CPU's. Not as efficient as Intel Atom or
VIA, but quite a bit more powerful. I use on on my desktop PC -- with
other systems I notice the room gets warm, but not when using a 45w
AMD.

For my deployed Asterisk servers, they are pretty old -- either AMD
Opteron 939 (I think those are at least 89, if not 110 watts!) pins
dual core or 478 pin Pentium 4 (2-3ghz) -- but they run just fine.

I think I would concentrate more on getting high-quality mainboard,
power supply and RAM than what the CPU speed is, unless you plan to
have heavy traffic. Who cares how fast the CPU is if you have a
PCCHIPS board with generic RAM and an off-brand "500 watt" PSU  (that
really gives off 200 watts) that all make the system unstable?