[asterisk-users] Intel Vs AMD

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Feb 23 02:37:14 CST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:00:38AM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Doug wrote:
>
>> Interesting shopping list - I've just built a new server for my co-lo and
>> it's an Intel Atom mobo. Normally I do use AMD though, but right now,
>> power consumption is an issue and hen AMD's low power chips are
>> mainstream, I'll look at usin them..
>>
>> My dual-core Atom mobo with 1GB RAM, 2 x WDC drives consumes just 42
>> watts. Which means it will run at room temperatures without any issues
>> with no case fans. (although the co-lo has 2+1 AC)
>
> If power consumption is a concern, also concider some Via CPUs.

Oh I do! But for the office PBXs. Typical power consumption of those is
just 15W. See http://unicorn.drogon.net/power.jpg That's a 1GHz VIA
CN1000G board, 512MB RAM and a TDM400 card with 3 FXO ports. I think it's
hard to get much lower than that using commodity components.

Here I want something with just a bit more oomph in the co-lo as it will
be handling many more SIP registrations, a few IAX trunks and a small
number of transcodes.

And, although my co-lo hasn't moved to it yet, a lot of co-lo's in the UK
are now charging per amp in addition to the basic hosting costs. In
London, bandwidth is virtually free, but electrical power costs money!

Gordon