[asterisk-users] GSM codec is a good choice ???

Alejandro Cabrera Obed aco1967 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:59:24 CST 2009

Dear all, I have Asterisk 1.4 with SIP. I have a voicemail implemented
with GSM sound files.

The problem is I have IP phones Utopix HyperPhone 202 which support
only G.729a/u and G.723.1 high/low, but not GSM.

If I choose G.729A the "pass-throu" calls among users are OK, but
Asterisk can't transcode GSM to G.729A in voicemail calls.

My company doesn'y want to pay for a G.729 license, so I'm thinking to
buy new IP phones with GSM support, so I have no problem with the
voicemail system.

Are the IP phone with GSM support a good choice for me ???

(Maybe in the future I need to connect the Asterisk with the PSTN, GSM
doesn't matter at this point ???)

Really thanks,

Alejandro