[asterisk-users] Please help test the gender detection module at 575-613-4392

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Feb 21 03:17:48 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:16:06AM -0800, Asterisk Asterisk wrote:
> You have some good points.
>
> >Justin Newman isn't exactly "someone we don't know". However I only
>
> I agree that my name wasn't clear, but I was trying to avoid getting a
> bunch of spam myself. I'm not sure if I've personally ever spammed the
> list and I'm pretty supportive of the community. I have been part of
> these lists for many many years.

What does this have to do with using 'Asterisk Asterisk' instead of
'Justin Newman'?

> >* The message starts by asking you to call a number.
>
> That was the help needed and it worked. There have been more than 500
> different callers now and they keep coming in. I'm going to need help
> with a second round of testing, after I release the updates today and
> Sunday, but I haven't figured out how to entice people to test again.

Have those been deployed already?

> >* No page with further information. Such a page helps to provide further
>
> I'm open for suggestions. Let me know how I can be more helpful. By the
> way, thanks everyone for YOUR help!

See below regarding project hosting.

> >* Is this module intended to be free software? (As it is not mentioned,
> >  I guess: "no"). If not, I'm less motivated to help to it.
>

> Yes, it's free as in GPL. I'm fine tuning and then releasing to the
> community. My customer paid to have the base written with the
> assumption that it would be released GPL, with further community work
> down the road. Let me know if you have any thoughts, feedback, or
> suggestions.

Where can I find it, then?

I just did a quick search and couldn't find nither it nither a place to
download your other apps.

For instance, the voip-info pages for them rank high when you look for
the various NV* apps. However I see in those pages:

  This code is NOT included with Asterisk at this point, however it is
  free. To get it, search the web.

And I find various copies of it all over. Where is the canonical source?
Where should I look for updates?

If you don't want to bother much, just open up a project in GitHub,
SourceForge, GoogleCode or whatever. Having the programs available under
version control means a lot to others. All three provide a simple wiki
for your documentation (the latter two have some more advanced options).

The former two also suppurt a Git repository. A distributed version
control system will probably work better with your workflow as you won't
be required to commit to some remote SVN server.

Furthermore, your Voip-Info user page comes up high when searching for
'Justin Newman asterisk'. Why not put there some more useful details?
http://www.voip-info.org/users/view/justin_newman

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com