[asterisk-users] call picking and transfers

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Thu Feb 19 09:02:58 CST 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

> Jeff LaCoursiere schrieb:
>> Working on some niche requests from one of my hotel clients.  asterisk
>> 1.4.20-1 on CentOS, Polycom 501s.
>>
>> The first request is for the Polycom's screen to show the CID of the
>> inbound caller when a call pick is executed, so the picker knows if the
>> call is internal or external.  I have already "worked around" this issue
>> by using ALERT info to give seperate ring tones for outside and inside,
>> but they are used to their old Nortel switch which apparently showed the
>> CID immediately after the pick, and they then knew how to answer the
>> phone.
>>
>> The second is to show CID information on the screen when a call has been
>> answered by the front desk, then a blind transfer sent to an internal
>> phone.  Today they simply see "Front Desk" and there is no indication of
>> who the actual caller is to distinguish internal staff, internal guest
>> room, or outside caller.
>>
>> Has anyone attacked these things with Polycom that might share their
>> approach?
>
> These bugs cover the functionality you need I guess:
>
> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5014
> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=13827
> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=8824
>
> However none of the patches are likely to be merged into 1.4.

Hi,

I am very happy to announce that two patches:

http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=8824
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=14206

applied to 1.4.23.1 work perfectly on Polycom, Cisco, and Linksys phones
to supply:

* CALLED party information showing in display as remote phone is ringing
* blind and attended transfers show the original callers ID info to the
receiving extension's display
* call picks using **ext or *8 show the picked caller's ID info in the
display when it is completed.

These features are found in PBX equipment going back at least a decade, so
I am very happy to see them finally in asterisk.  It does seem that these
patches will become part of the 1.6 release soon if not already.

Cheers,