[asterisk-users] AGI pdf book

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Feb 19 07:12:18 CST 2009

Michael wrote:
>> This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that something is
>> opensource. The fact that the source is "open" has nothing todo with its
>> pricetag. Sometimes opensource products are more expensive then closed
>> source products.
>>
>> If you want support/maintenance/dedicated_features/you-name-it you'll
>> have to pay for it. But you only pay for what you want/need, and not
>> because some egghead decided what he wants to put together as a
>> sales-package.
>>
>> Opensource is about the freedom to check and to change, security,
>> quality. If you doubt it, check with SLES/RHES/ABE/...
>> There even seems to be companies that do _only_ support on open
>> products, like typo3, openoffice, .... And make a living out of it.
>>

> Big companies, especially those with major computing systems use paid software
> because they want a vendor they can hold responsible for it.
>
> As for OSS and FOSS, it is majorly used by the sort of businesses and
> individuals who call me (and other IT pros) up and talk the talk, but they
> don't have a 2 dimes to rub together.
>
> This problem is only going to get worse as the so-called 'recession' bites...
> fellow I.T. professionals - get used to your clients trying to weasel free
> service out of you. Everything I am hearing from fellow I.T. people is that
> there is no shortage of 'work' but a lot of clients are resisting paying.

No... there's no shortage of work that needs doing. But there's a
definite shortage of money to pay those to do it -- hence the massive,
worldwide layoffs. Your little corner may not be affected, but to
discount basic economics because you don't see it? Well... that's
incredibly short-sighted and provincial.

Expect a bigger push to FOSS simply because fewer companies can afford
what they used to be able to afford. They can't get loans. The people
who buy their services and wares have all but vanished, so they have no
influx of capital. This is not some 'media-created' concept.

There's some incredibly good OSS and FOSS out there (Asterisk is a case
in point). People who sneer at companies that use it, saying they're
somehow lesser than companies that don't are, I usually find, those who
are making a living overcharging for their products.

N.