[asterisk-users] AGI pdf book

Michael michael at networkstuff.co.nz
Thu Feb 19 02:33:28 CST 2009

> This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that something is
> opensource. The fact that the source is "open" has nothing todo with its
> pricetag. Sometimes opensource products are more expensive then closed
> source products.
>
> If you want support/maintenance/dedicated_features/you-name-it you'll
> have to pay for it. But you only pay for what you want/need, and not
> because some egghead decided what he wants to put together as a
> sales-package.
>
> Opensource is about the freedom to check and to change, security,
> quality. If you doubt it, check with SLES/RHES/ABE/...
> There even seems to be companies that do _only_ support on open
> products, like typo3, openoffice, .... And make a living out of it.

Big companies, especially those with major computing systems use paid software
because they want a vendor they can hold responsible for it.

As for OSS and FOSS, it is majorly used by the sort of businesses and
individuals who call me (and other IT pros) up and talk the talk, but they
don't have a 2 dimes to rub together.

This problem is only going to get worse as the so-called 'recession' bites...
fellow I.T. professionals - get used to your clients trying to weasel free
service out of you. Everything I am hearing from fellow I.T. people is that
there is no shortage of 'work' but a lot of clients are resisting paying.