[asterisk-users] life safety system and VOIP

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Tue Feb 17 14:48:19 CST 2009

http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001650
;p=1

I can't see the Dept Transportation running copper to all the motorist
aid boxes along the highway.  I thought most of your alarm panels have
moved to GSM/CDMA backup communications.  I'd like to see a fire
marshall not give a permit for having a VoIP ATA or Vonage.

http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001650
;p=1

It's permitted in Chapter 8 2002 & 2007 "Alternative Methods of
Communication" and these still have supervision in accordance with Chap
4 and it's sub-section.

8.5.2.2* Alternate Methods.
8.5.4 Other Transmission Technologies.

8.6.2.2* Alternate Methods.
8.6.4 Other Transmission Technologies.

There is nothing specific with regards to voice over internet protocal
and leaves room to add new technology proposals with requirements in
future editions according to A8.5.2.2. or A8.6.2.2 respectively.