[asterisk-users] Credit Card processing machines

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Tue Feb 17 13:07:34 CST 2009

David Gibbons wrote:
> <snip>
> Certainly a sobering thought.  Have others had to deal with this in PBX
> replacement scenarios?  Its a giant cost savings in this case - they are
> dropping about 12 POTS lines in favor of utilizing (an underutilized) T1
> trunk that was already in place.
> </snip>
>
> Yes -- our alarm monitoring company considers T1 -> * -> ATA -> Alarm to be so unreliable that they require you to sign a waiver (indemnifying them in the event of basically anything) if you hook it up this way. Because of that we kept a POTS line around to hook up the alarm system. It would be cheaper to hook the alarm panel up to an internal cell phone backup :). I assume there are manufacturers that offer a built-in cell modem...

lots of that cell modem stuff, but the latest trend is to have constant
connectivity over the internet instead of a dedicated serial link over
something like DVACS that can detect line cuts. A normal alarm is only
connected when it has something to report unless its a higher end system
connected all the time.

on the credit card terminals internet connectivity is also becoming
standard since many units can all share and don't need an aggregator or
dedicated phone lines.