[asterisk-users] Credit Card processing machines

David Gibbons dave at videon-central.com
Tue Feb 17 12:45:29 CST 2009

<snip>
Certainly a sobering thought.  Have others had to deal with this in PBX
replacement scenarios?  Its a giant cost savings in this case - they are
dropping about 12 POTS lines in favor of utilizing (an underutilized) T1
trunk that was already in place.
</snip>

Yes -- our alarm monitoring company considers T1 -> * -> ATA -> Alarm to be so unreliable that they require you to sign a waiver (indemnifying them in the event of basically anything) if you hook it up this way. Because of that we kept a POTS line around to hook up the alarm system. It would be cheaper to hook the alarm panel up to an internal cell phone backup :). I assume there are manufacturers that offer a built-in cell modem...

--Dave