[asterisk-users] Network architecture

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Tue Feb 17 09:31:28 CST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, michel freiha wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to build a VOIP solution for handling SIP calls coming from
> endpoints registered on a specific SIP proxy...I made some research
> regarding network architecture and found out that the best solution is to
> use OpenSips as SIP proxy for registration and local calls between
> registered endpoints and use asterisk server with a2billing for PSTN calls,
> rating, routing and all other stuff plus a MySQL database...
>
> This architecture convinced me, but I have some questions regarding asterisk
> and I need asterisk expert answers in order to take decision...
>
> 1- Is there any Software limitation on asterisk regarding number of
> simulltaneous calls?
> 2- Can 1 asterisk server handle 5000 simuitaneous calls if I have the
> appropriate hardware?
> 3- It's etter to have one asterisk server for hadling 5k simultaneous calls
> or divide the load on different servers?

First off I think you would have a rough time making one server handle so
many calls.  It also depends heavily on whether or not you will be
transcoding those calls.  Regardless you should split the load for the
simple reason that such a high density service would be in absolute
tatters if your single point of failure failed for any reason.

Are you hiring??  :)