[asterisk-users] Progress() and Proceeding()

Mike Trest Mike at Trest.COM
Sat Feb 14 08:09:45 CST 2009

At 07:28 AM 2/14/2009, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
>But OTOH "Indicate progress" or "Indicate proceeding" doesn't
>mean anything for the end user.
>
>183 starts early media, 100 does not.
>
>Are there any situations where it makes sense to use either of
>these applications from the dialplan?
>
>    Philipp Kempgen

YES.

In a large scale Farm-of-Asterisks application (thousand+ concurrent
calls) where calls with a certain Tier 1 carrier requires 183 for
some routes and not for others.   Thus an adaptable dial plan and sip.conf.

Unfortunately, the consumer should really care because it says a lot
about their SIP provider(s) endeavors to provide reliable service - -
- if we can adapt our Asterisks to their idiosyncrasies.

<RANT>
IMHO - - - because of the highly distributed [i.e. fractured-proxy ]
design of the supposedly Tier-1 provider network.  The carrier needs
extra time and assistance to setup the RTP path with the real media
port of another-carrier's point of origin.  This usually indicates
the calls are not organic calls from the carrier's own retail traffic
but are 2nd or 3rd route calls collected from diverse wholesale
sources [i.e. other carriers] where the RTP is probably not running
over the Tier-1's own network.

OUR OWN constant push to pass RTP over someone else's network must be
controlled.  We are deceiving ourselves (and our consumers) if we
mistakenly believe that a recognizable Tier-1 brand name is
synonymous  with good VoIP service.
</RANT>

..mike..

..mike..