[asterisk-users] PRI Test Lab

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Feb 13 11:44:42 CST 2009

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> But this is not the case if both are on two different cards.
> In addition to that, does a T1/E1 link work well when nither side
> attempts to set timing?

You are correct; if the spans are on different cards, then one of them
would ideally be configured to use the clock recovered from the span,
instead of its own onboard clock source. However, even if both cards are
configured to use their own clock sources, if those clocks are close
enough in frequency and don't have appreciable jitter, the system would
still work just fine. It's not an optimal configuration, though.

I don't know that I know what you mean by 'set timing'; if you transmit
a bitstream onto a T1/E1 span, that bitstream includes clocking, by
definition. The source of that clocking is what we are talking about,
not whether it is present or not.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com