[asterisk-users] Disabling Echo Cancellation on a per Call basis

Tobias Wolf tobias.wolf at evision.de
Tue Feb 10 08:37:09 CST 2009

Olivier schrieb:

> 2009/2/10 Tobias Wolf <tobias.wolf at evision.de
> <mailto:tobias.wolf at evision.de>>
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     i was just made aware on the Bristuff-Mailing list, that it is
>     possible to
>     disable echo cancellation per dialplan application.
>
>     This comes in very handy, for terminating faxes.
>
>     But the application seems only to be existing in the bristuff patches.
>
>     Does there exist a solution for
>
>     Asterisk 1.6.0.3
>     Digium Wildcard TE110P T1/E1
>     DAHDI Version: 2.1.0.3 Echo Canceller: MG2
>
>     without any Bristuff?
>
>     At the Moment i have fax detection enabled.
>

> Do you mean a given DID receives voice or fax calls ?
> If positive, which app is detecting faxes ?

Since i have a dedicated DID for fax calls, i don't really need the fax
detection. For this number i simply start the ReceiveFAX-Application and have
some voodoo around it to name the file correctly.

But if i do this, and look into the channel information from Dahdi i see that
the fax handled flag is set to no. And this seems wrong to me. I have the
feeling that the percentage of failed faxes is higher is this flag is set to no
(or false, can't remember) ...

Since i have a PRI connected to my Asterisk, i use the built-in fax detection of
DAHDI. I have enabled it for incoming fax calls, in chan_dahdi.conf

faxdetect=incoming

The incoming call is answered and with an included Wait(4) the fax is detected
and switched to the fax extension, where the ReceiveFAX-App is executed.

Now the fax handled flag is set to yes and i am able to receive most of the fax
calls. But i have massive problems receiving fax calls from certain people,
especially from UK (i am in germany). I am not quite sure, if the echo canceller
is automatically disabled if DAHDI knows that the call is a fax and the channel
info doesn't indicate otherwise, since it says that echo canceller is active
even if it says that it handles an fax.

This is the reason why i was so happy to hear, that there seems to be the option
to control the echo canceller with an dialplan app. But since this seems to be
an Bristuff-only feature i am a little bit stuck.

Kind regards,

--

   Tobias Wolf