[asterisk-users] Crash Hard, Crash Often

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 5 11:35:01 CST 2009

One relevant question that hasn't been addressed is whether just the application is crashing or the whole computer (Linux).

I would second the hardware idea, with emphasis on generic hardware, especially RAM.  I had a Suse 10 box that kept crashing and doing funny stuff.  I ended up running an extended RAM test on it--one of those pattern sensitivity tests that takes an hour or two to run.  Turned out that one of the SIMMs I had just bought and installed had a subtle problem.  It would never show up on a straightforward test, but certain address ranges would fail on one or two of the exotic pattern tests.

It came from a reputable vendor who does 100% testing themselves, so it was apparently subtle enough to slip through their test.  They took it back and replaced it.  I ran for a few weeks without the module with no crashes and when I put the replacement in everything was still fine.

Wilton