[asterisk-users] Crash Hard, Crash Often

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Feb 5 10:03:48 CST 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Josiah Bryan wrote:

> I've ran with verbose quite high lately, but havn't left debug on.
> Well,
> I just opened console and turned debug on to 100 so we'll wait and see
> what it shows next time it crashes. It's due for another any time
> now...

If it's crashing, the first thing I would do is upgrade from 1.4.41.2
to the latest version, which is 1.4.23.1.  Quite a number of issues
have been fixed since the version you're using.

If you're still having a problem with 1.4.23, then try to get a
backtrace of the crash.  First, build Asterisk without optimizations
enabled by running "make menuselect" and turning on the
"DONT_OPTIMIZE" flag in the "Compiler Flags" section.  Then, if you
start Asterisk with -g, it will generate a core dump on a crash.
Finally, use gdb to get a backtrace.

$ gdb asterisk core.12345
(gdb) bt
(gdb) bt full

Then, post this information on http://bugs.digium.com/  and we'll help
you resolve the issue.

Thanks,

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead