[asterisk-users] Trunk with Polocom Video Conferencing Unit

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Sun Feb 1 22:31:23 CST 2009

2009/2/2 Daniel Harper <daniel at harper.net.nz>

> I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem we have at one of
> our sites.
>
> We have setup a Asterisk Trunk to a Avaya PBX, ie ...
>
>       Avaya <-> Asterisk (1.2.30) <-> External ISDN Network
>
> BUT They also have a Polycom VSX 7000 that with some sort of BRI
> converters that plugs into the Avaya.
>
> The Trunk is working well except for Video Conference Calls. The
> Polocom can receive but not make calls, and the calls that it receives
> drop out every 5 minutes.
>
> Short of telling them to fork out for a BRI service does anyone have
> any ideas how to rectify the drop-outs? Would 1.4 help? Is there a way
> to plug the Polycom into the Asterisk server directly?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

The Polycom has a number of interface options, quad BRI being one of them...
Your Avaya PBX has some BRI modules with the Polycom probably using 4 of the
ports on one of those modules able to use 8 channels at the same time...

You've not mentioned how the Avaya is connected to Asterisk and you've not
provided any information on messages you are getting on the Asterisk console
when attempting to make outbound calls or when calls drop out on inbound
calls... This would be useful to help you determine what is happening... If
using a PRI type connection between the Avaya and Asterisk, it might also be
useful to get some pri debug output during these tests...

It could, in theory be possible to connect the Polycom directly to Asterisk,
possibly with BRI, possibly through the use of H.323, but the support for
both of those is somewhat less mature than much of the rest of asterisk...