[asterisk-users] cheap ip phone with auto-answer

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Dec 29 06:41:36 CST 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Tim Nelson wrote:

> ----- "Leif Neland" <leifn at neland.dk> wrote:
>> I want some cheap ip-phones with auto-answer, to work as paging system
>>
>> at dinnertime.
>> Options, please.
>>
>> Leif
>>

> I've had great luck using the BT201 phones from Grandstream for this
> purpose. In fact, this is the only situation where I still use
> Grandstream handsets. They support "auto answer" as well as "auto answer
> by call info" which allows you to auto answer based upon the SIP header
> in case you don't want *ALL* calls to be auto answered.

I'll second that. I've a small local charity (really tight on funds) who
have a couple of dozen BT201's as desk phones and as paging/intercom
devices. They're also cheap enough to use as remote ringer bells, screwed
to a wall above head height...

> The only thing to watch out for is the Grandstream power supplies *WILL*
> die on you, likely within 2 years. For every Grandstream device I've
> deployed in the last few years, the power supply died and needed to be
> replaced. Luckily, they're just simple 5v wall warts and easy to find.

That too... Although the newer ones seem much more reliable than the older
(bigger) ones. Maybe the newer UK ones are better? Failure rate seems to
be 1-2% over a few 100 Grandstream devices I've installed over the past
few years. I try to persuade clients to go down the PoE route for the
GXP2000's, if possible. Gives me a box of spare PSU's if nothing else..

Gordon