[asterisk-users] SIP Issue

listuser at spamomania.co.uk listuser at spamomania.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 12:41:05 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 12:11 -0600, James A. Shigley wrote:
> Alright I have a SIP phone located off premises with a very annoying
> issue.
>

> Well I say a sip phone it is actually two phones hooked to a Cisco Spa
> 2102
>
> Link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10026/index.html

Looks pretty much like the PAP2 which I have running flawlessly with 1.6
in and outbound - so don't despair, you can solve this.

> Each phone being a different line/extension.
>

> Alright either line can ALWAYS make outbound calls no issue. The
> problem is on the Inbound side. I’m completely stumped as to why. I
> could make 10 back to back out bound calls and then call inbound and
> watch the call come in to * and try to be passed to the sip phone only
> to get “Error Message 14: Not a Working Number.” So it doesn’t seem to
> be a matter of the phones Sip Login “Timing out”
>

> And when I check sip peers it shows the correct IP address of the box
> so it doesn’t appear to be that it can’t find the Cisco box.
>

> Here is what I use for the inbound context, replacing the _X_ with the
> actual extension of course.
>

> [to_ddwhome]
>
> exten=> _X_,1,wait(1)
>
> exten=> _X_,n,Dial(${ddwhome},21)
>
> exten=> _X_,n,Goto(dial_inf,${EXTEN},1)
>

> ${ddwhome}=SIP/ddwhome
>

> Now the odd thing is when it gets the Error 14 message then the third
> step to dial_inf does not execute. Though when it rarely does connect
> with the sip phone if no one answers in 21 seconds than it will roll
> over to that step.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> James Shigley

Probably be useful to see sip.conf as well and know the version of
Asterisk you are running but in passing, you don't have any firewall
rules that could stop your asterisk talking TO the Cisco when something
comes in?

The one minor issue I had with mine is my router has some NAT issues
with signalling (It's a Draytek - they are known for it). In the end I
shifted the PAP2 up to 5061/5062 and the problem was gone. None of this
may be useful to you but I'll tell you this much. In my few weeks with
Asterisk I've had times where I've asked myself why certain things would
plain refuse to work and on every occasion it was *not* the fault of
Asterisk. 50% my config, 40% my network, 10% different docs for
different versions and missing info ;-)