[asterisk-users] Registering with a static peer?

John Marvin jm-asterisk at themarvins.org
Mon Dec 28 02:47:11 CST 2009

I've been using a couple of Polycom 501 phones in my home Asterisk setup. I set
up each phone in sip.conf to be static, i.e. host=<phone ip address> so that
registration wasn't required. This has worked fine for me for a couple of years.

Now I just bought a Polycom 335. Since the 501's are now obsolete, I had to go
through the steps required in order to have separate sip.cfg's, etc. Anyway, I
got the Polycom 335 to almost work, except for the dialplan. When picking up the
handset (or hitting the line 1 key) it put me in url-dialing mode, i.e. it
prompted me with "Enter URL" and didn't follow the dialplan I had set for the
phone. It took me quite some time to figure out what was going on. I finally
found a paragraph in the phone's users guide that said:

> URL or IP dialing is not supported on registered phones. If your phone is
> intentionally unregistered, the default dialing mode is by URL.

At least that explained the cause of the problem. I could not find a way of
changing the default dialing mode for an unregistered phone. So, I figured the
only answer was to register the phone. Just setting the phone's "register"
parameter to 1 (voIpProt.server.1.register="1") fixed the problem, i.e. the
phone would now prompt me with "Enter Number" rather than "Enter URL" and
allowed normal numeric dialing, according to the dialplan.

But of course, if I turned on verbose logging in Asterisk, it complained about
the phone not needing to register. The only way I could get it to shut up and
properly register was by specifying host=dynamic. I'd rather not do that, so I'm
currently using the hack of telling the phone to register and it failing every
30 seconds. This doesn't seem to break anything, but I can't say I'm really
happy with the solution.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know of a way to disable the default URL dialing mode for an
unregistered Polycom 335?

2) Is there a way of configuring asterisk to allow static ip address
registration in sip.conf? I can understand that this doesn't make much sense,
but it appears the Polycom phone really wants to be registered. I prefer the
static configuration since it is a little more secure and reliable in my opinion.

3) Assuming the answer is "no" to 1 and 2 above, is there something I am
overlooking with my "hack" solution? Should I just go ahead and set the phone up
for dynamic registration?

John