[asterisk-users] Dell Server suggestion

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Wed Dec 23 17:11:49 CST 2009

On 12/23/2009 03:48 PM, Fred Posner wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Sascha Ferley wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am in need of ordering a new server here for our asterisk solution. Since
>> the corporate standard is Dell we need to stick to a dell server. We used to
>> deploy 2900III without any issues, however now they are almost not available
>> any more and are looking at a new solution.
>> Has anyone tried any of the new Dell R (series) servers with Asterisk,
>> utilizing Digium PRI cards?
>>
>> The biggest issue I can see is that in the future we may want to get a
>> transcoder card, however none of the new servers have a standard PCI slot
>> available any more as with the new Nathelem chips having gotten rid of the
>> basic bridge I guess.
>>

>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> S.
>
> Personally, not a big fan of Dell Servers. That being said, I've deployed Asterisk in many of the new R series 1&  2 U servers with Digium cards. Initial deployments have been without issue. Longterm have had the random drive failure and heat issues I've come to experience with Dell servers.

Fred,

To be fair, you see heat issues (and drive failures related to heat
issues) in nearly any 1 or 2U server that's not in a properly cooled
environment.  1U and 2U servers work well in data centers with 60F
cooling.  Not so much in your normal office with computers crammed in a
closet.

Darrick
--
Darrick Hartman