[asterisk-users] Dell Server suggestion

Fred Posner fred at teamforrest.com
Wed Dec 23 15:48:11 CST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Sascha Ferley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in need of ordering a new server here for our asterisk solution. Since
> the corporate standard is Dell we need to stick to a dell server. We used to
> deploy 2900III without any issues, however now they are almost not available
> any more and are looking at a new solution.
> Has anyone tried any of the new Dell R (series) servers with Asterisk,
> utilizing Digium PRI cards?
>
> The biggest issue I can see is that in the future we may want to get a
> transcoder card, however none of the new servers have a standard PCI slot
> available any more as with the new Nathelem chips having gotten rid of the
> basic bridge I guess.
>

> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> S.

Personally, not a big fan of Dell Servers. That being said, I've deployed Asterisk in many of the new R series 1 & 2 U servers with Digium cards. Initial deployments have been without issue. Longterm have had the random drive failure and heat issues I've come to experience with Dell servers.

---fred
http://qxork.com